T-4-102 - Requirements for Registration or Exemption for Fertilizer-pesticides
This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
When manufacturing a fertilizer-pesticide, you may be required to register your product with Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), depending on the usage of this combination.
In all instances, the pesticides used in the combination product must be:
- registered under the Pest Control Products Act for control of those pests for which the fertilizer-pesticide product is being recommended.
- acceptable for use with a fertilizer according to the Compendium of Fertilizer-Use Pesticides.
If the manufacturer/blender is soliciting sales for a fertilizer-pesticide without an order from the purchaser (example; not a customer-formula) registration is required. This includes fertilizer-pesticides applied by lawn care companies.
On the other hand, if the manufacturer/blender is selling on a customer formula basis (note: customer formula means a fertilizer prepared in accordance with a written formula which sets forth the name, amount and analysis of each ingredient, the fertilizer grade of the total mixture and the signature of the person for whose use for fertilizing purposes it has been prepared), Section 3.1(1) of the Fertilizers Regulations applies:
Exemptions from Registration
3.1(1) "A customer-formula fertilizer containing a pesticide registered under the Pest Control Products Act for the purpose stated on the label is exempt from registration if a copy of the label and the name and address of the customer for whom it was prepared is kept by the manufacturer for not less than one year after the date the fertilizer was prepared".
Customer Formula Fertilizer-Pesticide Labelling
Although customer formula fertilizer-pesticides are exempt from registration, they are subject to labelling requirements under Section 16(4) of the Fertilizers Regulations which states the following:
"Every package containing a customer-formula fertilizer that contains a pesticide or lesser plant nutrient with toxic properties shall have a label affixed to it on which shall be printed:
- the name and address of the manufacturer of the fertilizer;
- the cautions to be observed in using the fertilizer;
- the grade of the fertilizer in the total mixture;
- the guaranteed analysis prescribed in Section 15;
- the name and amount of each active ingredient of any pesticide in the fertilizer expressed in percent;
- the directions for use;
- the name and address of the person who is to use the fertilizer for fertilizing purposes; and
- the weight of the fertilizer"
The aforementioned labelling information must appear on the shipping bill or on a statement accompanying the shipment for fertilizer that is sold in bulk.
Registered Fertilizer-Pesticides Labelling
A fertilizer-pesticide product that is required to be registered must meet the requirements of the Fertilizers Act and Regulations and the Compendium of Fertilizer-Use Pesticides. The Compendium identifies acceptable fertilizer-pesticide combinations and provides guidelines as to the acceptable levels of active ingredients, approved uses and claims, cautionary/warning and first aid statements, and instructions for the bulk blending of fertilizer-pesticides.
In addition, the labelling requirements under Section 16 of the Fertilizers Regulations include the following:
- the name and address of the manufacturer of the fertilizer or of the registrant;
- the brand of the fertilizer, if any;
- the name of the fertilizer;
- the registration number of the fertilizer;
- the guaranteed analysis;
- the directions for use;
- the cautionary statements; and
- the weight of the fertilizer
For packaged fertilizer-pesticide products, a label must be affixed to every package in the shipment.
For bulk shipments, the labelling information must appear on the shipping bill or on a statement accompanying the shipment.
Should you have any questions in the matter, please contact the:
Fertilizer Safety Section
c/o Pre-market Application Submissions Office (PASO)
Canadian Food Inspection Agency
59 Camelot Drive
Ottawa, ON K1A 0Y9
- Date modified: