Annex F - Labelling requirements for shipping cartons
This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
The following information must appear on the main panel of shipping cartons.
- Meat inspection Legend (except where the shipping container contains a prepackaged meat product);
- Identity of the meat product: sections 7.6.1, 7.9, 7.12(2) and 7.12(3). In regard to specific meat cuts, please refer to the Meat Lexicon. Please note that only the underlined names in the Lexicon are acceptable terms. All others are considered merely synonyms and are referred to the accepted terms by means of the symbol v/s;
- The words "Product of (Country of Origin)" shall be shown in close proximity to the product name (if the product is imported);
- Weight declaration: see section 7.6.2;
- Storage instructions: see section 7.6.6;
- Name and address of the firm: see section 7.6.4;
- *In the case of whole poultry carcasses which are not prepackaged, the words "For Further Processing" and "Pour transformation ultérieure", where the container contains poultry that is not individually marked and is intended for further processing; and
- *In the case of a dressed chicken carcass or portion thereof, the words "May Contain Kidneys" and "Peut contenir les reins", where applicable.
Main panels of shipping containers shall be printed with all mandatory information except for the product name, which may be stamped, stencilled or applied by means of a pressure sensitive label,
pressure sensitive labels printed with all mandatory information applied to shipping containers must be of a size so that the information can be easily read.
bar code labels on shipping cartons could be used. These bar code labels could be printed with all mandatory information or part of the mandatory information provided the labels are applied to the main panel.
Note: The labelling information required on the shipping cartons has to be in both official languages when the product is intended for retail sale.
Main panel of shipping container for meat cuts and manufacturing meats
Main panel of shipping carton containing a labelled prepackaged meat product
The labelling information required on the shipping cartons must correspond in detail with the individual inner labels except for the ingredient statement which may be omitted.
- Date modified: