Sanitary Requirements for Export of Pet Chews Made of Bovine and Porcine Hides (Including Pig Ears) to South Africa
HA 2787 (Amended October 1, 2013)
This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
- Canada is an OIE recognized FMD free country where vaccination is not practiced.
- The exported products were manufactured in an approved export facility under the authority of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.
- The exported products are derived from animals which have been subjected to ante- and post- mortem examination and did not show any sign of infectious or contagious diseases and which were not slaughtered in any disease eradication campaign.
- The exported products do not contain any bovine material other than skin or hides.
- The exported products do not contain any ovine or caprine material.
- The exported products were manufactured using procedures approved by the veterinary authorities and were properly applied to ensure efficacy of treatment.
- The dried pig ears have been sufficiently processed to assure the destruction of harmful pathogens as demonstrated by the fact that finished products are routinely tested and found to comply with the following standards:
- Salmonella ; absence in 25g; n=5, c=0, m=0, M=0
- Enterobacteriaciae ; absence in 1g; n=5, c=2, m=10, M=300
- n = number of samples taken;
- m = the threshold value for the number of bacteria; the results to be considered satisfactory if the number of bacteria in all samples does not exceed m;
- M = maximum value for the number of bacteria; the result to be considered unsatisfactory if the number of bacteria in one or more samples taken is M or more;
- c = number of samples the bacterial count which may be between m and M, the sample still be considered acceptable if the bacterial count of the other sample is m or less.
- The exported products have been subjected to a heat treatment of at least 70 °C for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Date modified: