Aquatic Animal Imports
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency:
- implements controls to prevent aquatic animal diseases from being introduced into Canada, and
- safeguards Canada's natural aquatic animal resources.
Import permits are required for susceptible species of finfish, molluscs, and crustaceans. These animals must meet the import requirements to enter Canada.
Enforcement of the aquatic animal import permit requirements will be phased in and will come into effect either on December 10, 2012, February 4, 2013 or April 8, 2013 depending on the specific end uses and the applicable codes.
Import permits contain specific requirements based on the disease risks associated with the animal, the origin, and other relevant health information. Imported aquatic animals may require health certification from the country of origin, to ensure that the animals imported into Canada, meet Canada's aquatic animal health requirements.
The Application for Permit to Import PDF (140 kb) is completed by the importer. Prior to completing the application, the importer should ensure that a permit is required for the commodity(ies) being imported. Please verify that a permit is required with the CFIA Area Office.
The completed application is faxed or mailed to the CFIA Area Office. Fees will be charged for import permits, where applicable.
You will be contacted by the CFIA Area Office within five (5) business days of receipt of the application form with information on how to proceed.
Importers should be aware that any conditions associated with aquatic animal imports are posted on the Automated Import Reference System (AIRS).
Information we provide for the aquatic animal industry includes:
- 2012-11-30 – Notice to Industry – Import Requirements for Aquatic Animals
- Aquatic Animal Diseases
- Consultation: Changes to import requirements for aquatic animals
- Containment Standards for Facilities Handling Aquatic Animal Pathogens
- Harmonized System and Other Government Department Codes for the Automated Import Reference System
- Susceptible Species of Aquatic Animals
- Updates to Automated Import Reference System
- Date modified: